1234 Ac Here To Stay?
So what’s everyone’s thoughts on 1234 machines. I’m starting To see more. Is it here to stay? [EDIT]
We have the machine that does 1234 and 134. We do a lot of it. Prob 4 or five a week as we do work for a local body shop. Currently charging $299.00 it doesn’t look like it’s going amywhere Yet.
Plus the Freon?
Justin, I am chairman of the SAE service committee that selected 1234yf . Currently, about 80% of the vehicles for sale on dealer showrooms have 1234yf in them. the remaining 20% will be 1234yf withing three years with Mazda being the last to go. There are no plans to move back to 134a or forward to another refrigerant in the next 20 years. I have attached a partial list of vehicles with 1234yf
I am not sure that price for the service as depicted in the pdf, will live long. Seems unlikely. I have seen shops in the Chicago area already down to $450 for the service as described in the article. I might also question the use of the term "net profit" in the example. In my world, there are a few more expenses to be deducted before we get to "net" profit. I would agree, that "gross profit"
Peter, would you agree with the observation that considering the CAFE credits, global production and the system performance that even factoring in any legal questions of EPA rules there is no real reason to go backwards?
Jim, With California and 16 other states set to place restrictions on GWP for refrigerant used in new vehicles, there is no going back. Even if the current administration decides to drop the topic which the haven't.
I think all garages require a A/C machine for both gases, as a vast amount of repair work requires evacuating the system to remove parts & pipes to replace other components, even to compleate the job in-house you then need to pressure test the system recharge & retest to finish the job! This is why I could not be without one for both gasses. Think coolant leak needs a radiator, not an
We covered this in our latest Motor Age/TST webinar along with some other great information. Peter Coll was our guest expert and I think you'll find it well worth your time to watch! ubmadvanstar.hs-sites.com/register-a-c-s…
My personal opinion is it's here to stay until the utility patent expires... That's about 20 years if I remember correctly. Then we will find something else that is better for us.. Honestly we have yet to see enough of it to make the machine worthwhile. Then again where I live the average high is 74 degrees and AC isn't a real priority for most.
Note that both Yellow Jacket and CPS offer a "J-3030" machine that can be converted from R-134a to R-1234yf when the time arrives when a 1234 machine is needed . . . My own opinion is that after almost all passenger car manufacturers have spent mega bucks in developing a 1234-compatible AC system, they are not likely to switch back to 134a . . .
CO2 systems are already in the works
CO2 has its own down sides, however. System pressures are 8 to 10 times that of a 134a or 1234yf system. Also, it is an asphyxiant. Daimler is the advocate of CO2 (aka R-744) systems and it will be interesting to see how they handle these two issues. Regarding the asphyxiant aspect, perhaps they will go with a secondary loop system. The evaporator and its related components would be in a
Bob, CO2 systems are already available as a $6,000 option on ths Daimler "S" Class and Audi A8 in Europe. They will not be coming here anytime soon though. The SAE has decided to cancel any standards required by the EPA to use CO2 here because the EU car makers would not provide the requested data needed to develop the standards. CO2 is subject to "Use Conditions" as part of it's EPA approval