KIA announces J2534 Scan Tool software for 2018+
Kia Motors Corporation (KMC) announced that they have a new J2534 Compatible Diagnostics Package available starting 1/17/19. This scan tool software works with 2018+ KMC products. They also have released the latest version of their reprogramming software. Info on the KIA website here. Pricing information has been updated on the NASTF site here. This was a great collaboration with KIA and NASTF. KIA in South Korea was not clear on the MOU or MASS R2R regulation last summer. They were able to develop this tool pretty quickly. I have not had a chance to use it yet so I will be interested to hear some feedback from someone working on a 2018 up vehicle. 감사합니다 (Thank you) KIA
I would figure GIT, who writes the scan tool software handled that? They sure validated a LOT of devices on their info page. They write patch files on the fly when people submit log-files with a G-Scan issue so I get the feeling the engineers are pretty smart down there. Thanks for the info Donny.
Hi Geoff, As an "inside person" i know that GIT creates the software for dealerships and authorized service stations, which means the GDS/KDS OEM software. EZDS is a kind of "sister" company to GIT and only deals with the aftermarket world. That does not make them though an OEM equivalent when it comes to flashing control units. MOBIS is like the hardware manufacturer, which again is part of
It had been previously explained to me that GIT was the parent company and EZDS was a division of them set-up to "deal with" the aftermarket. Figures there would be some in-fighting. How VERY corporate of them. Sounds down-right American even...LOL
Hi Donny, has Kia and Hyundai fixed the issues they had with their J2534 programming software ? I know myself and others were having ROM failures during programming. Thanks in advance for any new information.
Hi Paul, What interface is used in your case? Off topic, do you by any chance have any roots from the Greek region?
Hi Paul, I was using a Cardaq Plus. Have also had the same issues with a Cardaq M. Don't know what region of Greece my grandparents were from.
No they have not, I had TCM ROM failure a few weeks ago on a Hyundai using their most recent J2534 software (luckily I was able to recover the original PCM using a cheap used one). Today I had the exact thing happen on a 2010 Kia Forte. TCM ROM failure and pretty much the TCM was deleted from the PCM. I was using a Cardaq plus 2. I talked to a friend that has had the same thing happen using
Yes, Paul they have. I am also answering Benjamin. I had a KIA in the shop that was doing the exact same thing for me. Henry got inside my machine remotely and made a couple of changes that resolved the issue. I would suggest that you send them an email. They are good about responding. They asked a few questions and said, I know what the deal is. I believe that Drewtech has this sorted out and
Thanks Donny, I tried calling the support line and got an answering machine. We need to get this resolved. I got lucky recovering the last one. Where is their email address posted, or should I call and leave a message on their support line?
Here is a movie to help you find the KIA support request form.
I got little help from Kia because they called me 7 hours after I submitted the request. I was no longer around the car. I managed to get the Forte up and running. For now I will no longer update any TCM’s on Kia or Hyundai products using J2534. I have had zero issues programming the engine side of the PCM on either make.
Thank you Donny, I had stop accepting Hyundia and Kia programming jobs based on earlier failures. I was able to borrow factory tools and perform module recovery procedure with the proper password to bail myself out of failures. Didn't want to purchase or keep borrowing so turned them away. When you reference changes to your machine I assume you're referring to their software and not the passthru
Paul, I was kind of watching him and taking an SDRM call at the same time but it looked like a Browser change he made. We logged in and out and restarted the machine. It was not clear cut so it must be some configuration switch that is flipped on some but not all machines. I already had the firmware on my pass-thru current.