Improved Message Stream Menu and More (Version 2.1)
We've just released the latest version of the community platform with the following updates:
- Improved message stream menu. As we introduce additional ways to filter the stream (such as the newer ability to filter by message type), the dropdown menu has become insufficient. The new menu now allows you to see more of the options at once, which should make it easier to adjust your view. Even on the smallest mobile devices, you can now see at least twice as many options at once.
- Founding Members can now see and adjust their subscriptions. Previously, those members that joined DN before our launch (Founding Members) were not able to see or edit subscription settings. This is now possible on the billing page. Thanks for your support!
- Fewer DN link embeds/previews. We now only embed link previews for diag.net links if they are to other messages or files, which should reduce a lot of clutter in discussions that are referring to other parts of the site.
- The message author's location is now shown along with the existing position/company information on discussion pages. Previously it was only visible on the member profile page. When viewed by a member that is logged in, the city/state or city/country will be displayed.
- Years of Experience is now editable. Members can now update their years of experience on their account settings page. We already automatically increment this value for you annually, but if number is inaccurate, you can now update it.
- Users that are overdue on their subscription are able to post a bounty, but until today they weren't able to tip members, which could have impacted their ability to reward those helping them with a problem. This has now been resolved.
- Better accessibility. We've made changes to enable pinch-to-zoom on older versions of iOS and all Android devices. (Previously we had made a change that disabled this behavior on some devices, as a side effect related to making it easier to register and post from these devices, but we've since found a better solution.)
- Minor bug fixes. We resolved W3C validation issues, errors users may have seen if on extremely poor connections, and many other minor bug fixes.
We hope you enjoy this release. If you're interested, here are the previous release notes (v2.0).
My issue is with older threads. There should be an alert in the website itself(not just via email) that there are new responses to an older thread. The way the current format is set up(its like Facebook and Instagram) does not allow for easily browsing of old threads,so there should be an icon of some sort(again like FB and IG) to let the user know that there are new responses.
Yes, we have plans to make it easier to see the discussions you've participated in (or watched) that have new activity. It would be another way to filter the message stream on the homepage. Thanks for the feedback!
Cool, I this is still a work in progress, I personally am pleased so far.
I haven’t had a chance to explore new features yet, but I notice something unintended: - everybody in the thread is shown to be from the town/city of the original poster. - there is no more “subject line” (first line of their post) in the thread tree.
Hi Dmitriy, I also noticed #2 earlier this afternoon and just fixed that. As for #1 🤦♂️ ... fixing that now. Thanks for the heads up!
These are both now fixed, thanks again and sorry about that!
Hey Tom, Is it possible to work on more than one post at a time? I had one in progress awhile back where I was adding to it over the course of a few days. I hadn't published it yet and when I tried to make a different forum post, my work in progress post would open every time I clicked on the New Post button. It appeared that I had to finish the first one before I could start another. Is that…
Bob, I’ve tried to post my drafts as a Resource, then edit them. Seems to work, though I don’t know if it’s the preferred way...
Yeah I guess that would work. I'm still curious to know if there is another way.
Makes sense to me, I'll add this request to our list. Thanks, Bob. Dmitriy's workaround below would be one way to deal with this issue now, assuming you don't mind it being accessible by others. Posting it as a Resource would mean that most people wouldn't see it, since resource messages don't appear in the default message stream.