Changing Seats in Late Model Ford Taurus SHO
OK, so I have created my own problem on this one. Last year I purchased a project car. I bought a 2011 Ford Taurus SHO. It had dead turbochargers. I was able to purchase some upgraded turbochargers and replace all the relevant oil and dump lines. Engine is running great! I thought it would be awesome to buy some second hand massage seats so I could get a massage on those long road trips. With a ton of splicing, I was able to wire them up in place of the heated and cooled seats that were originally installed. The seats work fine with each function. The drivers seat had a deployed seat belt pre-tensioner. The Airbag lamp was on all the time. I assumed by changing the deployed part it would fix it. This past weekend I was able to replace the pre-tensioner with the one off the original seat. Now I have a U3000:4A code. The code indicates a part mismatch. Some heavy google searching led me to the fact the Occupant Sensor System is different between the seats. Sure enough, the old seats use a bladder with a pressure sensor. The massage seats use load cells on the tracks. Due to the way the massage seats work, I can't just retro the bladder into the seat.
With that now being known the solutions are A) Go back to another set of old seats or B) recode the RCM module for the massage seats. So far I have not found any common bits in the SHO vehicles I have found the as built data for. I have found several with the massage seats, however the common data is also common with my original RCM coding. I have found one thread that covers the F-150 and it states that there are differences in the Occupant Classification Module with every year and application. It also gives the bits that need to be changed. Unfortunately there are more lines of code in the newer F-150 control modules. None of those controllers match the one in my SHO. So my work is cut out for me. I really don't want to go back. I hate that the Airbag lamp is on. It would be really nice if there were a key so that we could make changes without guessing. There is a ton out there for the F150. I have found very little on the Taurus and nothing related to the Taurus RCM.
I have attached some compiled data. I am not seeing a pattern leading to a solid solution. Any ideas?
There are some forums out there with information on asbuilt hacking. The Taurus SHO is not likely in many of them. Part of the asbuilt information is Checksum (calculated based on the other numbers). Finding the correct as built may be difficult at best. Even when at the dealer, Ford has specifically stated they will not provide support for modified builds. There is also some inherent liability from modifying the restraint system. I have swapped clusters out to higher trims levels successfully and read about people adding Nav to non navigation touch systems. SRS I would not modify.
So I have been researching this for days now. I discovered that the first 4 lines are the VIN. The last 2 digits of each line is the checksum. I used HEXwrite to convert the pairs of HEX data to ASCII text. There it was, my entire VIN taking all but the last row of Data. The last row of AS Built is the same on every module I researched. The answer to making the seats work is not in the RCM module on this vehicle.
Today I tried a new tactic to repair the problem I caused. I was able to buy a used passenger seat occupation module on ebay last week. It arrived and today I tried it. After resetting the passenger seat zero weight the airbag light went out. The module I purchased was for a 2012 model. The ones I had were my original for a 2011 and the donor for a 2010. The RCM liked what it saw with the new module and now all is well.